Thursday, February 27, 2014

God's Promise Is Our Anchor

We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.  (Heb 6:19-20)

The Lord promised to give the kingdom of heaven to those believing in him.  We hope in those good things, he is saying, we cling to this hope like a sacred anchor.  An anchor hidden in the depths does not allow our souls to be disturbed.  He shows the hope of good things to be proof against failure on other grounds as well.  Becoming incarnate for our sakes,… He gave up His body to death for our sakes, and after destroying death he went up to heaven, being the firstfruits of those who has fallen asleep.  He strengthened their confidence with the name forerunner: if he is our forerunner and has gone up for us, we too must follow and be granted ascent.  The Lord also says as much to the apostles:
In my Father’s house are many rooms.  If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
Here likewise, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf.

Theodoret of Cyrus, “The Epistle to the Hebrews”

No comments: