Friday, June 17, 2022

Patristic Wisdom: Looking to the Second Sunday after Pentecost

A psalm of David when he escaped from before his son, Absalom.
Lord, why are the ones afflicting me increased?
        Many rise up against me.
Many say to my soul,
        “There is no salvation with his God.” (Pause)
But You, O Lord, are my helper,
        my glory, even raising my head up high.
With my voice I cried aloud to the Lord,
        and He heard me from His holy mountain. (Pause)
I went to bed and fell asleep.
        I awoke, because the Lord will help me.
I will not be frightened by the myriads of people
        who surround me.
Stand up, O Lord!
        Save me, O my God,
because You struck down all those hating me without ground.
        You broke the teeth of the sinners.
Salvation is the Lord’s,
        and Your blessing is upon Your people. (Ps 3:1–9 LXX)

The stability that is demonstrated in particular against opposition is to be regarded as that of an unflinching mind in that, even amidst intense trials, it in no way withdraws the commitment of its hopes. They say such things, he means, to mock me and add to my suffering, whereas once I have placed my trust, I shall not cease hoping, since You, Lord, help me in my hardships, snatch me from the evil of impending danger, and restore me to the position of esteem and honor.

What is this blessing of the Lord? Without a doubt it is peace, just as Scripture says in many places: “Peace be over Israel.” Through these words he wishes to show that in the place of blessing peace is conferred on the people.

Theodore of Mopsuestia, Commentary on Psalms 3.4, 9

No comments: