Friday, September 10, 2021

Patristic Wisdom: Looking to the Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost


The Lord gives Me the tongue of the learned, so as to know when to speak a word at a fitting time; and He causes My ear to listen each morning. The Lord’s instruction opens My ears, and I am not disobedient, nor do I contradict Him. I gave My back to whips, and My cheeks to blows; and I turned not away My face from the shame of spitting. The Lord became My helper; therefore, I was not disgraced. But I made My face like a solid rock and knew I would not be ashamed. For He who pronounces Me righteous draws near. Who is he who judges Me? Let him oppose Me at the same time. Who is he who judges Me? Let him come near Me. Behold, the Lord will help Me. Who will harm Me? Behold, all of you will grow old like a garment, and old age will devour you, as a moth does a garment. Who among you fears the Lord? Let him listen to the voice of His Servant. You who walk in darkness and have no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely upon God. (Isa 50:4–10)


Therefore, why is it that the one who revealed such things to our ancestors was not one such as I was and now am? And why did I deliver the bodily instrument that was taken out of your hands because of its humanity? But since this seems to refer to the most glorious Lord of all, who also is my Lord and Father, for this reason then I also call him Lord and say: The Lord, the Lord gives me the tongue of instruction that I may know when it is necessary to speak a word. In the same way, “when he was accused” “he was silent,” and when you had falsely witnessed against him, “he made no answer.” He acted in this way at the command of the Father, because it was necessary “for him to become obedient unto death.” It was because of this that I kept silence and suffered insolence on your behalf, because I knew well that there would be a time when “I will no longer be silent,” and when I receive a tongue of instruction from the Father, I will proclaim at the proper time, when it is necessary to speak a word. And this may be the time when I will establish my churches throughout the entire civilized world. For then I will no longer remain in silence, but I will cry aloud so that, if they listen, all nations might come to know the Father. At the aforementioned time, he will grant me attentive ears that are able to understand the meaning of my teaching, and as they listen in the early hours of the morning they will convey my instruction. For it is my Lord himself who will open my ears so that they will be attentive and ready to learn.…

Therefore, I offered at once my back to those who wanted to strike me. I offered my cheeks to those who struck my face and shamefully mistreated me, and I did not turn away my face from being covered with your spit. But I remained resolute and offered my given human body to all sorts of abuse and insolence, defending myself from nothing that anyone threw at me. For the Father’s will was enough for me. And when “I became obedient” to him, I was sustained through everything, knowing that the one who rules over the universe, the Lord, has become a helper for me. For this reason, I presented my face like solid rock because I have become convinced that obedience to the Father does not bring me any shame. And the Father stood close by me, and just like a judge at the games, after he watched me endure through everything, he justified me. If anyone has an accusation against me, and it even seems right that I should be put to death for certain faults, let him show publicly what the reason or pretext for such an accusation against me is.…

After going over what happened during his suffering, the Lord himself continues on and addresses them: and now, if there is anyone among you who fears the Lord, let him listen to his servant. He says that he interprets himself as the servant of God when he says he became a man and is the true Son of God and of the Father. And the phrase about hearing the voice of his servant does not refer to the “transgression of the law” but speaks about the confirmation of the law through the impression and engraving recording the truth, which is God and his prophecies. For “I do not will the death of the sinner but his repentance.” And yet even now, I call you again while you are in the darkness of ignorance, and I say: Those who walk in darkness and have no light; trust in the name of the Lord and lean on God. Only come and listen to the promise and have faith that this salvation is for you!

Eusebius of Caesarea, Commentary on Isaiah 50.3–4, 6–7, 10

No comments: