Friday, April 2, 2021

Patristic Wisdom for Good Friday


And He, bearing His cross, went out to a place called the Place of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha, where they crucified Him, and two others with Him, one on either side and Jesus in the center. Now Pilate wrote a title and put it on the cross. And the writing was: JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS.… After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit. (John 19:17–19, 28–30)


“In you [Abraham] I foreshadow my plans,
For indeed, O just man, you are clearly my figure in relief.
Do you wish to know what is to come after you as a result of your deeds?
It is for this reason that I had you ascend here, to show you.
Just as you did not spare your son because of me,
Just so, I shall not spare my son because of all men;
But I shall give him to be slain for the sake of the world.”

“In the same way that your Isaac has carried the wood on his shoulders,
In the same way, my son will bear the cross on His shoulders.
Your great love has revealed to you the future.
See now the battering ram attached to the wood;
As you see the source of its support, you will understand the mystery.
It is by the horns that it holds in the bonds;
The horns signify the hands of my son.
Set the seal of approval on Him, and I shall guard your son.”

Romanos the Melodist, Kontakion on Abraham and Isaac 41.22–23

No comments: