Monday, August 27, 2012

Ancient Hymns for Home Worship

Last week I posted quotes by nineteenth-century theologian Edmond de Presenssé from his work Christian Life and Practice in the Early Church.  This is a good book, though I wish he gave more detail on how he formed his opinions on certain matters.  The following are ancient hymns from his chapter "Worship in the Home" (pp. 230-231).  Notice that though these are simple and brief, they communicate a profound understanding of the Lord and our response to him.

Morning Hymn
Day by day will I bless You,
And will praise Your name forever,
And from age to age.
Grant, O Lord, that we may be kept this day also without sin.
Blessed are You, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and
        Your name is to be praised and glorified forever.  Amen.

Evening Hymn
Blessed are You, O Lord: teach me Your judgments.
O Lord, You have been a refuge to us from generation to generation.
You, O Lord, have mercy upon us.
You have healed my soul [in] that I have sinned against You.
O Lord, to You I flee for refuge.
Teach me to do Your will,
Because You are my God;
Because You are the Fountain of life.
In Your light shall we see light.
Extend Your mercy to those who know You.  Amen.

Twilight Hymn
Calm light of the celestial glory,
O Jesus, Son of the Eternal Father,
We come to You now as the sun goes down,
And before the evening light
We seek You, Father, Son,
And Holy Spirit of God.
You are worthy to be forever praised by holy voices.
O Son of God, You give life to us,
And therefore does the world glorify You.

No comments: