Friday, November 18, 2016

Patristic Wisdom: Looking to Sunday

Then the Lord appeared to Solomon in the night and said to him: “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a house of sacrifice.”  (2 Chr 7:12)

In addition to these things, [Moses] also appointed a place in which alone it should be lawful to them to sacrifice to God.  And all this was arranged with this view, that when the fitting time should come, and they should learn by means of the Prophet that God desires mercy and not sacrifice, they might see Him who should teach them that the place chosen of God, in which it was suitable that victims should be offered to God, is his Wisdom.

Pseudo-Clementine, Recognitions 1.37



And as for you, if you will walk before me as David your father walked, doing according to all that I have commanded you and keeping my statutes and my rules, then I will establish your royal throne, as I covenanted with David your father, saying, “You shall not lack a man to rule Israel.”  (2 Chr 7:17-18)

For Holy Scripture supports the freedom of the will where it says: “Keep your heart with all diligence.”  But the Apostle indicates its weakness by saying “The Lord keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”  David asserts the power of free will, where he says “I have inclined my heart to do Your righteous acts,” but the same man in like manner teaches us its weakness, by praying and saying, “Incline my heart unto Your testimonies and not to covetousness.”  Solomon also: “The Lord incline our hearts unto Himself that we may walk in all His ways and keep His commandments, and ordinances and judgments.”

John Cassian, Conference 13.10.1

No comments: