Thursday, April 21, 2016

Glorify Him!

Continuing my posts of patristic texts coinciding with this Sunday’s Psalm study.




Let everything that has breath praise the Lᴏʀᴅ!
Praise the Lᴏʀᴅ!  (Ps 150:6)


But someone will say, “If the Divine substance is incomprehensible, why then do you discourse of these things?”  So then, because I cannot drink up all the river, am I not even to take in moderation what is expedient for me?  Because with eyes so constituted as mine I cannot take in all the sun, am I not even to look upon him enough to satisfy my wants?  Or again, because I have entered into a great garden, and cannot eat all the supply of fruits, would you have me go away completely hungry?  I praise and glorify Him that made us, for it is a divine command which says, Let every breath praise the Lord.  I am attempting now to glorify the Lord, but not to describe Him, knowing nevertheless that I shall fall short of glorifying Him worthily, yet deeming it a work of piety even to attempt it at all.  For the Lord Jesus encourages my weakness, by saying, No man has seen God at any time.

Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures 6.5

No comments: