Monday, February 1, 2016

Seeking for the Right Things

Continuing my posts of patristic texts coinciding with the Psalm series on Sunday.



One thing have I asked of the Lᴏʀᴅ,
    that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lᴏʀᴅ
    all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lᴏʀᴅ
    and to inquire in his temple.  (Ps 27:4)

Now having enjoyed such goodness, he is saying:
I seek from my benefactor not wealth or influence, royalty or glory, but constant attendance in the divine temple, contemplation of the divine beauty there, and inspection of everything happening in accordance with law.  I have a feeling of benefit, in fact, having already secured salvation from that source and escaped the hands of my pursuers.
This the mighty David both asked for and received from the generous God.  He brought back the divine ark, erected another, more wonderful tabernacle, and assembled the different choirs of singers.

Theodoret of Cyrus

No comments: