Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What to Do for Lent

Lent is a time traditionally for giving up something (or some things) as a spiritual discipline of afflicting oneself in acknowledgement of our lingering sin nature.  Many people simply give up red meat on Friday and eat fish, but can you really call that fasting?  To me that is a treat because of fish specials at restaurants. (Sweet!)  You can see that fasting at this time of year is given as much credence as a typical New Year's resolution.

Matt Glaz took a humorous approach to matter by writing a song "I'm Giving Up Church for Lent."



In similar fashion, I have decided to give up sinning for Lent.  That seems to be an eminently practical thing to do as it meets all the requirements for the season—except that as soon as I say that I quit sinning, I have sinned (see 1 John 1:8).  Better by far to do as the Lord spoke through the prophet Joel, not just for Lent but continually:

"Yet even now," declares the Lord,
        "return to me with all your heart,
with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;
        and rend your hearts and not your garments."
Return to the Lord, your God,
        for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love;
        and he relents over disaster.  (Joel 2:12-13)

2 comments:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Since Lent was a practice introduced by the Roman church, I'd say we can safely ignore it.

072591 said...

My favorite thing about Lent is a comic book many years ago about Deadpool, "The Merc with a Mouth". During one particular story, Deadpool found 2 jobs. One was to rescue a woman and the other was to kill the woman. He was thinking about taking both jobs, but sighed. "I can't. I gave up murder for Lent."