Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Wanna Talk about Me Bein' with You

For your reading pleasure, I present two songs side-by-side.  One is a popular country song.  The other comes from the world of contemporary Christian music (CCM) and was part of the set we sang this past Sunday morning as part of worship.  Look at them both before moving to the questions that follow.

I want to hear you say words to me "Well done."
I want to hear you say "Good and faithful servant."
I want to hear you say "I've prepared a place for you."
Let all the treasures of this world, fade away.

Jesus, you are my reward.
To hear your voice on that day,
Is all I'm looking for.
Jesus, you are my reward.
To see your face on that day,
Is all I'm living for.

Written by Paul Baloche
I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one
Oh my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see
I like talking about you you you you, usually, but occasionally
I wanna talk about me
I wanna talk about me

Written by Bobby Braddock
Performed by Toby Keith

What is the difference in theme between them?
Most readers will react with something like, "Duh!  One is talking about being with Jesus, and the other is not."  OK, but if we replace the name Jesus with Johnny, Billy, Bobby, or some other typical country name, what would you say?  Now it becomes a song of a woman longing to see her departed husband or a girl looking forward to a big date with her boyfriend.  Is my relationship with Christ to be that of a star-struck lover?  Such feelings are intense but generally wane quickly.  The relationship does not last.

Who is the focus in each?
Again, most readers will react with something like, "Duh!  The country song is about self, and the other is about Jesus."  Really?  Analyze the two.  Both use the same words—I, me, my—to build phrases promoting the same self-directed message.  How can the song be God-honoring when man is at the center?

At their root these songs have no difference.  The CCM piece is simply a Christianized version of the formulaic love song where someone opines the loss of a lover and sentimentalizes when they can be together again.  It may "play in Peoria" (ask your grandparents what that means), but please do not call it praise or worship.

3 comments:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

You are speaking to my heart, Steve. This type of self-focused bile is all too frequently the stuff used for "worship." The only worship in these things is self. Thanks for that great comparison.

Marie said...

Hey! I've heard that country song on the radio - it's a riot!! Good song.

Okay, now on to the Baloche song - yeah. What Glenn said. I heard one pastor refer to "Jesus is my Boyfriend Music" and I was shocked at his crassness at the time; then I found out he didn't make that term up. Yipes.

Yes, we have to be careful with our worship, because our selfish human nature makes it all about us. "I love me, and therefore I love you because You love me" is not a model for biblical love. I think we can be freer and more candid in our private devotions than corporate worship. I don't know; it's been a long day but I felt a need to add my $0.02 into the mix.

"I Am A Friend of God" or the all-time worst - "Isn't He Beautiful" at our church sees me pretending I have to go to the ladies' room just so I can get away from it. And trust me; it's not because I don't love Jesus. I heard a Michael W. Smith song recently, "Deep in Love with You" that was even worse in terms of creepiness. There's just something so wrong about hearing anyone - especially a male - sing that.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Glenn, thanks for the link.

Steve Bricker said...

Marie, people (including my lovely wife) say I over-analyze. Alas, 'tis true. That being the case, I try to allow for "poetic license." There are songs that have an overall good message but fuzzy theology within. For instance, "And Can It Be" is great, but Charles Wesley has in one line that Christ "emptied Himself of all but love." Not entirely accurate, but the point concerning divine love unto death on the cross is good. On the other hand, this "boyfriend music"...

And Glenn, thanks for sending the link to Marie.