Friday, March 22, 2024

Patristic Wisdom: Looking to Sunday of the Passion

Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am afflicted;
My eye is troubled with anger;
So are my soul and my stomach.
For my life is wasted with grief
And my years with sighing;
My strength is weakened with poverty,
And my bones are troubled.
I became a reproach among all my enemies,
And especially to all my neighbors,
And a fear to all my acquaintances;
Those who saw me outside fled from me.
I am forgotten like one whose heart is lifeless;
I was made like a vessel that is utterly broken.
For I heard the blame of many who dwell round about
When they were gathered together against me,
When they plotted to take my life.
But as for me, I hope in You, O Lord;
I said, “You are my God.”
My times are in Your hands;
Deliver me from the hand of my enemies,
And from those who persecute me.
Make Your face shine upon Your servant;
Save me in Your mercy. (Psalm 30:10–17 LXX [Psa 31:9–16])

[T]he wicked reproach the Savior. So not every reproach conveys a cause for censure to the one who is being reproached. There are times when those who reproach are to blame, and those in turn are people who are reproached by sin. And indeed, in the scripture of Proverbs it is said to the wise man, “Do not acquire the censures of evil men.” By the added phrase “of evil men,” he showed that there are reproaches of virtuous men as well. The disciples, for instance, are commanded to rejoice when they are reproached. The above censures are not those with which the apostles are censured; they belong to evil men instead. Then, since it is in our power to do things that are worthy of reproach, he prescribes, “Do not acquire the censures of evil men, and do not strive after their ways.” For the one who strives after their deeds and their thoughts has become an evil man, having acquired for himself harmful reproaches.…

About this reproach it is said that some arise “to reproach and eternal disgrace.” However, not all arise “to reproach and eternal disgrace,” but only those who seem to be good here. When, even though they are considered to be virtuous and holy men, they rise again and the shameful things of their soul appear, these arise into reproach, for those who are manifestly evil arise again not into reproach but into punishment.

And if the Savior says this, then He is calling the cross a “reproach.” For the apostle taught this: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.” Again, “He who, for the sake of the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, disregarding its shame.” Now, reproach and shame are the same thing. And see this at least, as far as it concerned Him, joy was set before Him because He had no sin. Therefore He disregarded the shame; He trampled over it.

Didymus the Blind, Lectures on the Psalms 30.13

No comments: