Tuesday, March 29, 2016

God Is Most High

Continuing my posts of patristic texts coinciding with this Sunday’s Psalm study.



I will extol you, my God and King,
    and bless your name forever and ever.
Every day I will bless you
    and praise your name forever and ever.  (Ps 145:1-2)


By nature God is most high, not having elevation in addition.  The devotees of piety proclaim it, and teach it to the ignorant.  The saying of Christ in the Gospels is like this, “Father, I glorified your name on earth.”  And a little later He teaches that He did not give Him glory that He did not have before, but revealed what He had: He said, “I made Your name known to people.”  In like manner, the Father also did not give the Son glory He did not have before, but taught the ignorant what He had: “Glorify Me, Father,” He said, “with the glory I had in Your presence before the world existed.”  So He did not take what He did not have, but what He had was made clear to those who did not know.  Here the inspired author does not promise to make God elevated, but shows to people His elevation to the extent possible.  He gives the God of all the appropriate names God and King, prompted by love to do so.  “I shall continue singing Your praises,” he is saying, “and shall allow no day to be without a role in hymn singing.”

Theodoret of Cyrus, Commentary on Psalm 145

No comments: