Monday, January 25, 2016

Lord, Judge Me

Our pastor is teaching through some of the Psalms, so I thought it might be helpful to post some patristic reflections about the texts being used.



The Lᴏʀᴅ judges the peoples;
    judge me, O Lᴏʀᴅ, according to my righteousness
    and according to the integrity that is in me.  (Ps 7:8)


“Recognize my worthiness of a share in your help, clearly aware that it is most fair that I should beg the assistance of your defense.  After all, though I personally did nothing wrong to anyone, I am oppressed by others’ wrongdoing.”

Now the fact that he says my righteousness, whether speaking in his own person or in someone else’s, suggests that he is right to demand God’s help against his enemies, having been harmed by them.  Nowhere does he make reference to his own righteousness in such a way as to appear to attribute it to the zeal of his own life.  It teaches us as well that at the time we are placed in a hostile situation we can attract the attention of the divine hearing and regard if when suffering from others’ wrongdoing we still serve the cause of justice.  Hence, he goes on in the same vein And according to my innocence over me.  By innocence it is not simplicity he is referring to, but not doing any wrong.  So his meaning is: Just as I am not badly disposed to them, and yet am ill-treated by them, so judge me as someone wronged without cause and suffering unjustly.

Theodore of Mopsuestia

No comments: