Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bookworm Bliss

This afternoon I received Eusebius of Caesarea: Gospel Problems and Solutions, Roger Pearse ed.  I originally became aware of Roger through his website The Tertullian Project and began following his blog.  He is a likable sort and has been willing to answer questions concerning patristic writers.  He is quite willing to lecture on his work, so if anyone is in a position to underwrite his travel from Great Britain and organize a lecture tour, let him know.

Now do I read Eusebius or L'Exégèse de Théodoret de Cyr by Jean-Noël Guinot received late last week?  Probably the former since it's shorter.  I found the latter when I saw the author's two-volume biography on Theodoret being promoted at Les Éditions du CERF.  When I searched for other works by Guinot, I was able to purchase a copy in near new condition from an American bookseller at a good price.  My French language skills are not what they were, but this should help stimulate them.

Of course, I still have books received as Christmas gifts that need my attention:

        Backgrounds of Early Christianity, Everett Ferguson
        Biblical Exegesis in the Apostolic Period, Richard Longenecker
        Early Church and State, Agnes Cunningham
        Evangelicals and the Nicene Faith, Timothy George, ed.

And besides these I am reading Theodoret of Cyrus: Commentary on the Letters of St Paul, Robert C. Hill, trans., as devotional material, taking one chapter at a time.

Poor me.

3 comments:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I still have about 40 books sitting on my "to read" shelf. I am currently reading a book about the "Two by Two" cult, and another one titled, "Against Calvinism." I don't think I'll be caught up before I croak.

Steve Bricker said...

Then don't croak! Or learn to read faster. Then again, you are likely in the same position as I where neither option is viable.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Too many books, too little time!