Monday, December 20, 2010

Wearing Ink: Inside or Outside?

Just recently I became aware of a promotion by City Church of Anaheim, CA to get visitors in the door.  Twelve congregants with the pastor received tattoos because of a promise made for reaching a goal.  This article is three months old, but it goes squarely to a problem found in the church of North America.  We're all about gimmicks.  The preponderance of attention gets directed to the flashy and cutting-edge groups.  I wonder what would have happened if the thirteen that received tattoos had instead turned their attention to making disciples of all nations.§

But who am I kidding?  Tattoos require much less discomfort and commitment.


§ I am not opposed to tattoos.  I am opposed to them as gimmicks taking the place of discipleship.

No comments: