Monday, June 28, 2010

Every Party Needs a Pooper

In a prior post, I had mentioned how I was chafing because my job had been changed without my input or consent.  This is the second time something like this has happened in my career, and suffice it to say, corporate America leaves me cold.  If not for reasons not disclosed here, I might gladly pursue full-time ministry in a local church.  For instance, there are two Baptist churches within 30 miles of me who are advertising for a pastor.

Then I read the book mentioned in my last post.  Contained therein was a section dedicated to worshiping regardless of circumstances (p. 65ff).  Just who is this guy anyway?  He's interfering with my pity party. Paul and Silas' imprisonment is brought out as an example of getting completely unfair treatment for telling the good news of Christ.  And they worshiped instead of pouted.  Then there is Joseph who was wrongly enslaved for 13 years, who was faithful to God and thoroughly blessed.  Compared to these, I have nothing—barely inconvenienced. And he could have gone on in the book with more examples.

What will my ongoing response be?  I told a coworker that I just need to get over this hump.  Perhaps the better direction is to worship God for who he is and how he has led me to this place for my good.  Thank you, Mark Batterson for being a party-pooper.  Thank you, Lord, for your faithful work in goodness and love toward me.

No comments: