Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What Gives You Gas?

Carbonated beverages and certain other foods tend to cause a reaction when consumed.  The gastronomic gases build up and seek release: ergo, the belch.  This process is entirely natural.  Origen, in his commentary on John, picked up on this in a different way:
Nor must we leave unnoticed a passage...frequently quoted by many writers as if they understood it: "My heart hath belched forth a good word, I speak my works to the King."...That "belched forth" is not, perhaps, without significance; a hundred other terms might have been employed; "My heart has produced a good word," it might have been said, or "My heart has spoken a good word."...Filled with the Spirit and unable to contain himself, [the prophet] brings forth a word about his prophecy concerning Christ: "My heart hath belched forth a good word, I speak my works to the King, my pen is the tongue of a ready writer. Excellent in beauty is He beyond the sons of men." Then to the Christ Himself: "Grace is poured out on Thy lips" (Book I, cap. 42).
My translation uses the word overflows in the verse carrying the idea of boiling over.  Something has been percolating and is wanting to burst forth.  I like the concept of belching here.  Think on it this way: if we have been feeding on and drinking in something, it will come out, sometimes in embarrassing ways.  Take in the pure, nourishing Word of God and something wonderful will burst forth.

No comments: